Ljubodrag Grujic, Artist
The text reads:
PEDIGREE OF HERSCHEL LEE LUMBLEY
Thomas Lumley b c 1674/5 Co Durham presumably the son of Henry Lumley b c 1658 Co Durham d 17 Oct 1722 bur Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire (younger brother to Richard Lumbley 1st Earl of Scarborough) by his 1st wife Elizabeth — of Thimbley d 1674/5) arrived Isle of Wight Co VA c 1689 d 1760 Southampton Co VA mar Elizabeth — b c 1702 England d c 1778 Southampton Co VA and had issue:
1. Thomas Lumbley Jr, see below
2. Elizabeth Lumley b c 1726.
3. Rebecca Lumley b c 1727.
4. Sarah Lumley b c 1728.
5. Lucy Lumley b c 1729.
6. Mary Lumley b c 1730.
7. Simon Lumley b c 1731.
8. Richard Lumley b c 1734.
9. Jesse Lumley b c 1735.
Thomas Lumley Jr b c 1736 in Isle of Wight Co VA d c 1790 Southampton Co VA mar c 1754 to Phoebe — b c 1734 Southampton Co VA and had issue:
1. William Lumley, see below.
2. Abraham Lumley b c 1759 Isle of Wight Co VA m 23 May 1785 Southampton Co VA to Sarah
Bowers and had issue.
3. Sarah Lumley b c 1758 Isle of Wight Co VA m 13 Mar 1782 Southampton Co VA to Thomas
Schidmore and had issue.
4. Joseph Lumley b c 1760 d c 1821.
William Lumley b c 1762 Isle of Wight Co VA d 28 Oct 1843 d & bur Lawrence Co MO fought in American Revolution for VA mar 23 May 1782 to Mary Turner Reed b c 1855 Isle of Wight Co VA d c 1845 d & bur Lawrence Co MO and had issue:
1. Turner Lumley later Lumbley, see below.
2. Thomas Lumley b 1785 Southampton Co VA d 13 Dec 1839 mar 1st 13 Aug 1806 to Sally Green and had issue
mar 2nd Parshana Walker and d without issue.
3. Sarah Lumley b c 12 Feb 1787 Southampton Co VA d 11 Dec 1844 mar 27 Nov 1810 to Jonathon Thaddeus Griffin and had issue.
4. George Lumley b c 1795 SC d c 1880 Mason Co TX mar Elizabeth — and had issue.
5. Washington Lumley b c 1797 SC mar Elizabeth — and had issue.
Turner Lumbley b 13 Mar 1793 Wake Co NC d 20 Feb 1874 Yazoo Co MS mar 1st Catherine Harmon d before 1821 without issue mar 2nd 25 Dec 1822 in Port Gibson Claiborne Co MS to Mary Ann Slater Foster d after 1830 and had issue:
1. Joseph Slater Lumbley, see below.
2. John Hugh Foster (presumably adopted son from wife’s first marriage).
3. William Washington b 13 Oct 1823 d 5 Apr 1896 mar 18 Dec 1850 Lucy Lane Luice and had issue.
4. Thomas Green Lumbley b 1827 d 1862 in US Civil War in TN without issue.
5. Turner Lumbley Jr b 1832 d 1863 in US Civil war in Gettysburg PA mar and had issue.
6. Mary Ann Lumbley b 1824 d c 1843.
Joseph Slater Lumbley b c 1828 Jefferson Co MS d 5 Jan 1863 Bridgeport Jackson Co AL d from injuries sustained during Battle of Chattanooga TX in U.S. Civil War mar 1st mar 1818 Nancy Catherine Martin b 20 Jan 1828 Clarksville Montgomery Co TN d c 1902 Meridian Lauderdale Co MS dau of William Martin b 14 Nov 1795 Halifax Halifax Co NC d c 1877 Mechanicsburg Yazoo Co MS mar 2nd Susannah Harris b 17 May 1798 Halifax Halifax Co NC d c 1855 and had issue:
1. (1) Benjamin Franklin Lumbley, see below.
2. (1) William Turner Lumbley b 9 May 1860 Yazoo Co MS d in London England mar 1st Mary C Crouse d in Nigeria West Africa mar 2nd Carrie Green mar c 1899 in London England and d without issue.
3. (1) John William Lumbley b c 1855 Yazoo Co MS mar c 1881 and d without issue.
4. (1) James Buchannan Lumbley b c 1857 Yazoo Co MS d c 1914 m Mary Elizabeth Earl and had issue.
5. (1) Mary Friley Lumbley b 19 Mar 1858 d Apr 1958 and d without issue.
6. (1) Joseph Slater Lumbley Jr b c 1862 Yazoo Co MS d c 1946 in Hooks Bowie Co TX mar 17 Dec 1884 to Elvira Jones and had issue.
Benjamin Franklin Lumbley b 9 May 1860 Yazoo Co MS d 11 Sep 1961 New Boston Bowie Co TX and bur at Hooks Bowie Co TX mar 19 Oct 1892 to Mary Elizabeth McCutcheon b 15 Jun 1872 Paris Lamar Co TX d 1 Mar 1923 Hooks Bowie Co TX and bur at McCutcheon Family Cemetery Hooks Bowie Co TX dau of Jethro Orren McCutcheon b 7 Nov 1842 Hooks Bowie Co TX d 9 Mar 1931 Hooks Bowie Co TX and Josephine Hooks b 9 Jul 1845 d 24 Mar 1912 Hooks Bowie Co TX and had issue:
1. Harry Crouch Lumbley, see below.
2. Robert William Lumbley b 1894 Hooks Bowie Co TX d 1979 Texarkana Miller Co TX mar 1920 Cornelia Frances Fort and had issue.
3. Jesse Lee Lumbley b 1 Jun 1896 Hooks Bowie Co TX-14 June 1962 Shreveport Caddo Parish LA mar 30 Aug 1920 to Mattie Alice Sealy and had issue.
4. Mamie Josephine Lumbley b 1898 Hooks Bowie Co TX d in childhood
5. Frank Erskin Lumbley b 01 Jun 1900 Hooks Bowie Co TX d c 1956 mar Mary Birdie Evans and had issue.
6. Perla Elizabeth Lumbley b 1902 d in childhood.
7. Jethro Orren Lumbley b 1905 d 1979 mar 1st Martha Eulala Pool and had issue mar 2nd Dorothy Green and had issue.
8. Joseph Clinton Lumbley b 1908 d in childhood.
9. Annie Bea Lumbley b 16 Aug 1909 dc 2000 m Eulice Evans and had issue.
Harry Crouch Lumbley b 27 Dec 1912 Hooks Bowie Co TX d 22 Aug 1992 Texarkana Bowie TX and bur at Chapelwood Cemetery in Nash Bowie Co TX mar 18 Mar 1936 to Ruthie Lee Hill b 11 May 1919 New Boston Bowie Co TX d 1 Jan 2005 in Dallas Dallas Co TX and bur at Chapelwood Cemetery in Nash Bowie Co TX dau of John Lee Hill and Bell Boyd Clemons and had issue:
1. Herschel Lee Lumbley, see below.
2. Information Redacted - Other Descendants Still Living.
Herschel Lee Lumbley b 5 Feb 1937 Hooks Bowie Co TX d 27 Oct 2005 Longview Gregg Co TX and bur Rosewood Cemetery Longview Gregg Co TX Member 157324 of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution mar Information Redacted - Widow Still Living and had issue:
1. Lee Thurman Lumbley Information Redacted - Descendant Still Living.
2. Information Redacted - Other Descendants Still Living.
Emblazonment by Queen's Scribe and Illuminator Andrew Stewart Jaimeson
Ljubodrag Grujic is an Heraldic Artist with an appointment to the Royal House of Serbia
The text reads:
TO ALL AND SINGULAR to whom these presents may come, LEE THURMAN LUMBLEY, Gentleman, Member 167418 of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution and Associate Fellow of the International Association of Amateur Heralds, of the City of New York in the County of New York in the State of New York, and eldest son of HERSCHEL LEE LUMBLEY, Gentleman and Member 157324 of the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, now deceased, late of the City of Longview in the County of Gregg in the State of Texas sends Greeting! WHEREAS, for centuries past gentlefolk have made use of hereditary emblems centered on a shield to identify and distinguish individuals, families and collective bodies, known as armorial bearings; and WHEREAS, certain states have, by positive law, restricted the use of armorial bearings to those specifically granted or conceded by agents of the state; but WHEREAS, neither the United States, nor any of them, has ever established such a restriction, thus leaving their citizens free to assume armorial bearings which are equally valid as those granted by any king, prince or foreign state; and WHEREAS, it is my desire to assume, have and use suitable armorial by such right; and WHEREAS, Geoffrey Kingman-Sugars, Esquire, Justice of the Peace and Fellow of the International Association of Amateur Heralds, has so designed such armorial bearings in consultation with the said LEE THURMAN LUMBLEY. NOW, therefore, I, the said LEE THURMAN LUMBLEY have adopted and do by these presents adopt the following armorial bearings, that is to say:~ Argent on a Fess engrailed Gules between three Popinjays proper gorged Gules three Bezants And for the Crest Upon a Helm Out of a Ducal Coronet Or a Griffin rampant coward per Fess Argent and Azure langued Gules grasping in the sinister fore-claw the base limb and in the dexter fore-claw the sinister limb of a jewelled Cross of Saint Cuthbert composed of garnets set in gold all proper Mantled Gules doubled Argent And for the Motto:~ Deus et meum ius and do further assume the following Device or Badge that is to say:~ A White Rose barbed and seeded proper surmounted of a Ducal Coronet Or, all as more plainly depicted in the margin hereof and which have been registered with the United States Heraldic Registry, registration number 20090418H, and the Burke’s Peerage and Gentry International Registry of Arms, registration number 0157, to be held and used by myself, my descendants and the descendants of the said HERSCHEL LEE LUMBLEY, both as to the manner of their use and the course of their descent, in accordance with the law, traditions, customs and usages appertaining to arms in the United States of America, as same shall now be practiced or hereafter develop, and of which the Guidelines for Heraldic Practice recommended by the American Heraldry Society, as now existing or as may be amended from time to time, shall be prima facie evidence; reserving, however, always to myself the power to amend or revoke these presents, including the power to alter the arms assumed herein, the manner of their use and the course of their descent, by inter vivos instrument or by specific reference in my will. IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have here unto subscribed my name and seal at New York this SIXTH day of JULY in the TWO HUNDRED & THIRTY-FIFTH year of the Independence of the United States of America in the year of our Lord TWO THOUSAND & TEN.
[Signed and sealed by Lee T. Lumbley